Over 1 million lakes, 48 national parks, the Canadian Rockies, the Northern Lights, polar bears, the architectural marvels and quaint markets of Montreal, the bustling city streets and nightlife of Toronto; all this and more await you on your next trip to Canada.
To be able to visit Canada though, you may need a Visitor or Tourist visa or potentially an eTA or Electronic Travel Authorization to enter the country. This depends on where you are from, how you plan to get to Canada among other factors.
Keep reading to find out whether you need a Canada Tourist Visa or an ETA, what you need as well as how easy it is to apply with VisadeCanada!
What Is the Canada Tourist Visa?Video: Alt text: Name of Video | Canada Visitor Visa
Canada's tourist visa or visitor visa, also known as a temporary resident visa, is an official document that allows you to legally enter Canada. If you are travelling to Canada you may need one, however, some people simply need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
How many months is a Canada tourist visa valid for?
A tourist visa is usually valid for up to six months but this depends on how long your passport is valid for. For example, if your passport is only valid for four months, your visitor visa for Canada will only be valid for four months.
Do I Need a Canada Tourist Visa?
To travel to Canada you will either need a visa or an eTA. Which one depends on the following factors:
- the type of travel document you plan to travel with
- the country that issued your travel document
- your nationality
- your method of travel to Canada for this trip
You may need travel authorisation from the Canadian government for various reasons, such as:
- visiting as a tourist, visiting family or friends
- attending a business meeting, conference or trade show
- transiting through Canada
- working; or
- studying in Canada
As a U.S. citizen, travelling to Canada for less than 180 days, you won't need a visa. This means that all you will need to make your next Canadian adventure a reality is an eTA!
How Do I Apply for a Canada Tourist Visa?
Step 1: Find out if you need a Visa or eTA
The first step is to find out which type of travel authorisation you need. As mentioned earlier, this depends on the country you're applying from, your country of birth and the type of travel document you'll be using.
Step 2: Check if You're Eligible
If you need a visitor visa, you will need to meet some eligibility requirements:
- have a valid travel document
- be in good health
- have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
- convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country
- convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
- have enough money for your stay
- The amount of money you will need depends on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.
- Biometrics (fingerprints and photos)
You may also be asked for a medical exam and letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.
Important COVID Travel Regulations
Travelling to Canada currently requires meeting strict travel regulations. This includes:
- Mandatory quarantine plan (includes 3-night stay at government -approved hotel)
- COVID-19 testing (72 hours before departure)
- Submitting information via ArriveCAN app
How We Can Help You
Canada has some of the most incredible sights to see and attractions to discover. As the second-largest country in the world you'll never run out of new things to explore. Travelling to Canada can be both stressful and exciting, especially if it's your first time applying for a Canada Visitor Visa. Let VisadeCanada take the stress out of applying for your travel authorization so that you can plan your trip to Canada without stress and focus on your upcoming travels to Canada.